September, 2018: Energy Bites:
1 cup (dry) oatmeal
2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
½ cup natural peanut butter
½ cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup chocolate chips or cacao nibs (optional)
1/3 cup honey or agave nectar
1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients together in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly. Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll into balls of approximately 1” in diameter. Store energy bites in an airtight.
- Store in container and keep refrigerated up to 1 week.
Yield: about 20-25 balls.
April, 2018: Chocolate Almond Torte recipe:
|250 g. finely ground almonds||150 g. butter|
|200 g. sugar||6 eggs|
|50 g. plain bread crumbs||Cocoa to color, depending on how light or dark you want the torte (maybe 5 tsp or more)|
|Dash vanilla or almond extract|
- If you don’t have already-ground almonds, put whole, sliced, or slivered almonds in a food processer and pulse until you have almond “meal.”
- Add sugar, butter, & bread crumbs to combine.
- Add the eggs
- Add enough cocoa to color the batter to the darkness you like.
- Pour batter into a buttered loaf pan (or line with parchment paper)
- Bake in preheated 350-degree (F) oven for about 45 minutes.
- Frost with your favorite ganache OR melt 6 oz of chocolate with 2 oz cream.
January, 2015: Red Wine Beef Short Ribs
2 tablespoons canola oil
Six 5-inch-long beef short ribs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
Two 8-ounce packages baby portobello mushrooms, quartered
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups red wine
1 tablespoon tomato paste
Four 5-inch sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the short ribs with the salt and pepper and sear in the hot oil on all sides until well browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the short ribs from the pan. Add the onions, carrots and mushrooms to the drippings in the pan.
- Cook until the mushrooms have released their liquid, about 7 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and stir until smooth. Stir in the chicken broth, red wine, tomato paste and rosemary sprigs.
- Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Arrange the short ribs in the vegetable mixture, cover and bake until the meat is tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
From: Foodnetwork – Red Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs